July 31, 2006

Ignatius of Loyola

Today we celebrate the memory of St. Ignatius, founder of the Society of Jesus. Good Franciscan that I am, I didn't know the first thing about Ignatius until I had to read his Reminiscences for a course at school. It's really quite remarkable and worth the time. Ignatius is really an early modern person and thus may be easier for us to resonate with than some of the medieval or antique saints.

I find the similarities in trajectory in the vocations of Ignatius and Francis striking. Both embark on their religious life after a long convalescence from war injuries. Neither follows what would have been a traditional path for the time. Instead they grope about with their dreams and spiritual practice until a new form of religious life, suited to their time, emerges from their inspiration.

Let's keep our Jesuit brothers in prayer today as they celebrate. I know I'm grateful for the Jesuit education I've received from them.

1 comment:

Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

Your use of the term "antique saints" gave me a chuckle. After all, I most certainly fall into that catagory!