August 1, 2006

Summer Reading

I'm not much good for reading fiction, except that sometimes during times when I'm on the road a lot like this part of the summer. It's nice to have something to read on trains and planes. Also, for some reason I've gotten into the habit of reading The Catcher in the Rye each winter. I don't know why; it seems very funny to me in some way.

During this trip I've been reading Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. It's a lot of fun. I only mention it as an addendum to my comments on The Da Vinci Code. Foucault's Pendulum strikes me as what Dan Brown's book might be like if it was not only about mystery but mysterious itself, wasn't so tediously linear, and actually had interesting characters.

But I warn you, it's a little hard to figure out what Foucault's Pendulum is actually about, or even to follow the plot. Nevertheless, the language and construction is a joy.

1 comment:

Crescentius said...

My Dear Brother:

You posted the other day about the joy of coincidences... the wonder of making connections.. I too have been traveling and have not been one for fictional reading, except maybe to pass the time in a constructive and structured way.

While touring I also read The Da Vinci Code. One of my favorite movies is of course The Shining... the original... the bartender bestows much wisdom, don't you agree.

I am coming to the end of my trip through Central America and must admit that coincedences played a major part of my travels. It was these coincidences that provided an opportunity to reflect on a past grace and gift from God and relate it to a new grace, a gift just given and recoginized. It follows that God is always creating; and coincidences are just a little reminder of that creative power God shares with us. We olny have to recoginize and praise God for it.


peace
Crescentius