October 22, 2007

Peter of Alcantara

I always like the feast days of the great reformers of religious life, probably because we are so in need of them now!

Peter is one my favorites because he was part of the great movement of discalced reforms that was going on in the Iberian peninsula (and elsewhere) in the 16th century. We know this movement mostly from the Carmelites Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross and the Discalced Carmelite Order (OCD) that came out of it.

Brother Peter's feast day reminds me that the reforms of our religious life were movements larger than particular orders or traditions, and it gives me hope that religious life is reformable for our time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Charles,

I am delighted to hear that you are being inspired by St. Peter of Alcantara to be a reformer of religious life!

You remain in my prayers always.

ben in denver