December 27, 2007

Christmas Violence

It's always a little jarring to celebrate the great feasts of martyrs right after Christmas, the feast of St. Stephen on the 26th and the Holy Innocents on the 28th. I think that they serve as a counterpoint to the sweetness of the Nativity stories, and they remind us both that the Lord's life was beset with violence from beginning to end, and that the world "did not know him" and remains somewhat hostile to God to this day.

It reminds me of when I was still living in Boston there was a controversy over whether the state should be able to display a Christmas tree, i.e. did it violate the "separation of church and state."

A reporter stopped me on the street in Harvard Square and asked my opinion. I said that no one could reasonably accuse a state that was mean to foreigners and supported "gay marriage" as endorsing Christianity, and so Christians ought to be the first ones trying to prevent it from displaying a Christmas Tree.

No comments: