March 6, 2008

Go In Peace, Dungeon Master

Gary Gygax, co-inventor of Dungeons & Dragons, died this week. I've been thinking about him. For better or for worse he was a big influence in my early life prior to my serial conversions to punk rock, philosophy, and finally Christianity. Go in peace, Gary. May you make all your saving throws, never run out of somatic elements for casting fireballs, and may all your 3d6 rolls come out a natural 18.

Check out the NY Times obituary here. Even the lolcats are mourning.

3 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Oh, the guys in my house will be sorry to hear this. We've got 2 generations of Dungeon folk here, since TheDad brought the game to the Boy Scout troop. I've seen more than my share of zillion-sided dice (mostly in the laundry!)

Brother Charles said...

That's great, Barb. I'm sure my Mom had the same experience!

Anonymous said...

It's true. Father Charles's mother still occasionally finds those D&D dice, not in the laundry anymore but around the house, in odd corners where nobody's looked for a while.