October 23, 2009

Considering My Next Conversion

I'm contemplating my next conversion: becoming a hockey fan. Not that I'm especially attracted to the game, but I've noticed over the years that hockey fandom seems to produce a remarkable amount of fun and catchy old-school punk rock. Who knew? If stuff like this is the soundtrack, it must be the right thing.

These guys are actually the great Nomeansno in disguise:



Then from Canada to Philadephia:



Finally, going back to some of the deep roots of punk rock, my brother Connecticutians, The Zambonis:

6 comments:

Mark D. said...

Don't forget the fighting! Hockey is fighting occassionally interrupted by skating.

I am a major hockey fan -- I love the sport. Spokane Chiefs rock! What I like about hockey is that even the farm teams are pretty good. It's fun, it's athletic, and it has that hint of danger from the fighting.

Anonymous said...

It's true: Hockey and soccer fans carry with them the "hooligan" label--and I've always kind of enjoyed that. You're allowed a sort of license to engage in chaos and free angst--if only from the sidelines. It's cathartic.

Hidden One said...

That first one is a cover. Here's the original, by Stompin' Tom Connors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJD41-GvIg&feature=related

Brother Charles said...

Excellent, Hidden One! Thanks for the education!

Unknown said...

I am late to the conversation, but do check out the Paul Newman Classic "Slap Shot" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slap_Shot_(film) from whence we learn of the original Hanson Brothers.

ChadS574 said...

I'm proud to say that "Slapshot" was filmed in my hometown of Johnstown, PA. I too am a rather late convert to hockey fandom especially after getting caught up in all the excitement of the Pens' Stanley Cup win last year.