February 6, 2011

The Super Bowl in Religious Life

I know I write a a version of this post most every year, but it seems to me a compelling insight:

The Super Bowl is to religious life as Christmas is to the secular world.

It is a given that there will be a traditional celebration. The particulars of food and drink are dictated by this tradition, though not in a rigid way as to make the menu entirely predictable. Even a passing interest in the actual event at the origin of the celebration is entirely optional, and enthusiasm and close interest in the same can even seem jarring and out of place.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I go to Mass at a parish run by a religious order (of sorts). They have about nine men at the priory, including a couple of priests, a brother or two, and then some young men beginning formation. I realized yesterday when I was talking to one of the young guys that they currently happen to have two men from Green Bay and two men from Pittsburg in the house (including the rector). Kind of a scary thought.

Not only that, but Solemn Vespers and Benediction cuts right in the middle of the Super Bowl. Even though most Sundays almost no one shows up for public Vespers, I'm fairly sure they don't have it in them to justify changing the time of Vespers for that reason.

ben in denver said...

I took adavantage of Super Bowl Sunday and took my wife out for a Valentine's dinner a week early. I knew the the same restaurant that would be overcrowded next Sunday would be nearly vacant yesterday.

After dinner we went home and watched Groundhog's Day, the Bill Murray movie. I still don't even know who won the game.

I remarked to my wife at dinner yesterday, that on Super Bowl Sunday, we are like Jews on Christmas.