August 17, 2012

In Paradiso Con Altro Titolo

It's interesting living close to the administrative center of the Order; you learn the answers the questions you never knew you had. Today provides a good example.

If you are a Catholic, you are no doubt familiar with holy cards of the saints. You probably have some in your missal or your breviary. I have a holy card of Our Lady of the Angels that's been in my wallet for almost twenty years, long story.

Now, perhaps you have had a holy card of someone who has been beatified, a holy card of blessed so-and-so.

Have you ever wondered what happens to the holy cards of blessed so-and-so if and when blessed so-and-so gets canonized and becomes saint so-and-so? Me neither. But now I know. The person who was in charge of the causes of those former blesseds, from whom the holy cards of blessed so-and-so originate, finding himself home alone on a very hot day, puts them in the fireplace.

One learns these things because inquiring minds always want to know why someone would make a fire in the fireplace in Rome in August.

Amen. May we all learn to know the Christ of the burnt men.

5 comments:

carl said...

So who was raised from Bl to St?

Brother Charles said...

One of them at least was Bernard of Corleone.

-Lou (Louis) said...

I envy you your Our Lady of the Angels card *blushes*

carl said...

Interesting, I hadn't known him before. Let's hope he's praying for Vito and Michael :P

Benedicta said...

I read through the "long story" and I come to realize that the card of Our Lady of Angels protected you during your European journey. What a blessing...With the burning of cards when they become saints, I thought you were kidding. I will treasure that card more. I am a big fan of Pope JP II and I know all my collections will be a blessed one.