June 20, 2008

Theological Question

Here's one for all you theologians and canonists out there:

Sometime before I was in religious life I went to a Catholic youth event run by, I think, the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate. In the course of the evening there were opportunities for confession and to be invested in the Brown Scapular. I took both, and tried to maintain the wearing and the devotion of the Scapular after that.

When I was invested with the Franciscan habit in 2001, I considered myself absolved from my investiture with the Brown Scapular. The Scapular derives, after all, from the Carmelite habit, so I figured that, being invested in one habit superseded the other.

Am I right? Or have I failed to maintain the devotion and duty I accepted?

1 comment:

Garpu said...

I was always under the impression that a scapular was a kind of habit, so I'd imagine that yours would take precedence? Then again, I"m attracted to the Benedictines, which don't have a scapular that I know of.