March 13, 2010

The Arboreal Observance

At one of the senior citizen residences where I go to offer Mass, they never take down their Christmas Tree from the common room. Instead, the tree is transmuted according to the season. The Christmas Tree becomes the Valentine's Day Tree, etc. There's been a 4th of July Tree, a Thanksgiving Tree, and probably others that I have missed. Most say it's all in good fun, while a minority complain that it takes away from the unique custom of the Christmas Tree once a year.

When I went today they were displaying their St. Patrick's Day Tree.

1 comment:

Qualis Rex said...

Give me a good-ol' nativity scene. I will never see the "Christmas" tree as anything other than a pagan/Protestant imposition on true Christian culture.

What? You knew this blog would attract Rad-Trads.