August 6, 2006

Retreat

I'm going off on retreat today, in preparation for my upcoming final religious profession. I intend to be more or less off the grid during this time, so I won't be posting for at least a week.

Enjoy the feast of the Transfiguration today. I've always thought that it was one of the more mystical of our celebrations. In the synoptic gospel tradition, I take the Transfiguration as a Resurrection appearance that comes before the Resurrection itself.

It goes to show that the Resurrection in not a discrete historical event, but an inbreaking of the transcendent into time and history. It's the same with us: the mystery of our risen, transfigured life is hidden within our mundane existence. To notice it at all is already a lot. To live it is to be a saint.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be especially keeping you in my prayers this week.

Mike Farley said...

I know you won't read this till you get back from retreat, but I'll have been praying that God makes his presence and his grace very clear to you this week, and that he shows you more and more of his astonishing love!

Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

May it be a blessed time and a flavour of the blessings to come.

PV said...

9 days to go according with your counter. I am happy for you.:-).