July 30, 2009

Retreat Notes: From My Confessor

I'm always struck by confession with these Trappists. I have found them very wise and extraordinarily gentle.

Self-knowledge is part of asceticism, and so is always a good in the spiritual life. If your self-knowledge amounts to how wretched you are, then it won't seem like a step forward, but it really is because God meets us where we are, not in the imaginary self we think we want to be.


Every day is a new opportunity to wake up from sleep walking. That's the core of the ascetic invitation.



This is the retreat house chapel. Check out the dove-shaped tabernacle where the Most Blessed Sacrament is reserved, suspended above the altar.

2 comments:

pennyante said...

Oh my oh my... I thank you so much for sharing that, Fr. Charles.

I really need to remember the following: "...God meets us where we are, not in the imaginary self we think we want to be."

My meditation for today...

Julia said...

Great words from your confessor, Father.