February 26, 2007

AHHD

I have a new diagnosis for the DSM-IV. I call it "Attention Hypertrophy/Hypoactivity Disorder."

You might be one of the many afflicted if you can answer "yes" to any of these questions:

1. I have looked up one word in a dictionary and then read several surrounding entries as well.
2. I have followed enough cross-references in Wikipedia that I end up reading about a totally different topic.
3. I grew up playing D&D.
4. I have spent two hours sitting in an ice cream shop with a professor, arguing about what constitutes "overly colloquial" prose.
5. I have marinated a sauerbraten for more than two days.
6. I have prayed all 15 (before the Luminous Mysteries) or 20 (after them) mysteries of the Rosary in one go.
7. I have used up a disposable ballpoint pen.
8. I have read any of the following in their entirety: The General Instruction of the Roman Missal, the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours, or the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
9. I have, even once, looked up a reference to anyone's Commentary on the Sentences.
10. I have read the entire thank-you list from a record album.
11. I have watched episodes IV, V, and VI of Star Wars in a row.
12. I have tried to calculate, in my head, the exact day that was the mid-point of my life.

If this is you, you may have too much attention. Go get yourself the help that you need.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Yeah. Thanks for this. Now I will be spending the rest of the night trying to figure out when the "midpoint of my life" is. Not being THAT good at calculations (other than addition) in my head, the midpoint will probably have moved by the time I figure out when it was.

Would it count that, as a graduate student, I translated the ENTIRE epic poem of Beowulf, 50 lines at a time?

I married a D&D player and am mother to the next generation of them....