February 19, 2007

Meow

The other day I was walking down to the subway stop when I saw a big, black and white cat sitting at the edge of an alley. So I stopped to say hi. When I talked to the cat, he began to complain to me with big meows. That's when I realized I was standing in the sunbeam he had been enjoying. So I moved.

It's one of those old Trinitarian images: Father, Son, and Spirit as Sun, Beam, and Light. And it's the first lesson of ministry: don't block the light, and know how to get out of the way of the Son and Spirit, the two hands that the Father uses to embrace the world.

2 comments:

myosotis said...

Sublime. I've got to copy it down in my little black book of brilliant thoughts. Thank you very much friar, this was an eye opener.

Are you sure the cat didn't just want something to eat??

Anonymous said...

Cool image. Thanks!