January 19, 2009

Hermitage Notes: The Blessed Sacrament

Night.

It's dark at night in the woods. In a little tiny house warmed by a wood stove fire, the Most Blessed Sacrament and I sit quietly with each other. I in my chair, He in his luna. That the Lord in the blessed host is willing to keep me company in the quiet night reminds me of his arrival in my little life.

And in the clean clarity of this quiet it's almost hard to image--and yet I know my shame--all the noise and trifles I choose instead of His quiet Presence. And that is the tragedy of sin: to settle for less.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well put, indeed.

qualcosa di bello said...

your blog is a true blessing!

for narnia said...

thanks for sharing this, Fr. C! this tells us why making the time for QUIET prayer is so important. (this is kind of what i expected nocturnal adoration was going to be!) :) so, instead, i try to set aside a couple of hours (or more) if i'm able to, of quiet time in church on saturdays and for the most part, it's working. i feel that it is in the quiet time we spend with the Lord that we hear Him the clearest and the loudest. PEACE!
~tara t~

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother Charles,
Be blessed for the pictures and this wonderful reflection from the Hermitage. I can only dream of fulfilling such a profound spiritual journey, but, by the intercession of you meditations (of which I truly hope to read much more these days) I can already picture myself in adoration, in these woods, near the fire, with my heart close to Jesus in the Holy Sacrament, just me and Him, and the deep silence around us...
Pax tibi!
Claudia Stan
klaudiastan.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Fr. Charles,
I was so impressed by these thoughts of yours, that I have translated them into Romanian and posted them on my blog.
http://klaudiastan.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/sihastria-fratelui-charles-si-adoratia-de-la-carmelitani/
Pax et bonum!
Claudia Stan

Brother Charles said...

Thank you, Claudia, for your encouragement and support.