June 11, 2009

No More Plurks. Or Tweets.

Well, I've decided to delete my Plurk and Twitter accounts. It's fun, but it's not working for me.

I don't want to be negative about it, because I can see how forums like these could be exceedingly helpful for people in the sharing of resources, mutual support, and to create an online community of prayer. But for me, it's just not the right thing. When I went to pray my breviary this morning, I neglected to mute the laptop. The bell went off announcing "new plurks" and "new responses." I wasn't able to let go of it, and I interrupted the prayer to check them. Sorry. Make me choose between God and the promises I have made as a member of His Church, and you lose. "If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away."

Styles of Christian life, prayer, and devotion depend a lot on temperament. For me, since my earliest days my own life with the Lord has depended intimately on a certain kind of solitude, a spiritually fruitful aloneness. Traditional blogging fits in well with this, but I've decided that Plurk and Twitter do not.

For all of the truly inspiring friends I have made through Plurk, I am not rejecting you. You are great for me, but the format is not. Thank you for your prayers, and for the privilege of praying for you and with you. Many of you I will certainly see around, perhaps through your blogs or in Z-Chat. Stay strong in the Lord. I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit delights in working through you for the much needed sanctification of the internet. Keep fighting the good fight, and be assured of my prayers. Peace.

Do you lose "karma" when a friend deletes their account? Please let me know in the comments. If so, I will offer a Mass for my "Plurkfriends" to make up for it.

(Aren't you surprised that I wrote 'forums' instead of 'fora?' See how I can let go? ;-) )


10 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand Father, you will be sorely missed!

Kelly said...

I'm so sad to hear this. I also understand, but will miss your plurks and responses. I'm glad to have "met" you there! God bless!

Tina aka Snupnjake said...

I'll miss you and your advice!
Let me know if you ever come to St. Louis!

Tina aka Snupnjake said...

oops. That's from snupnjake :)

Angelique/eomma said...

I'm glad I found your blog before you decided to do this. :) God Bless Fr!

JoyfulMom7 said...

God bless you, Dear Fr. Charles. Your wisdom, your kindness and your humor will surely be missed! Be assured of my prayers - and hope to see you soon in Z-chat. Don't entirely disappear, okay?

Unknown said...

Hi,
Remember me? It's an old friend from Manchester. I truly understand and I am glad to see that you were able to see clearly. We are all distracted in prayer but now a days there is so much more out there that can distract us.
Hope all is well with you.
We are doing fine here. We will have multicultural Mass for Corpus Christi
and celebrate only one Mass for 10am,12, and 5pm. It will be at noon. Wish you could be there.
Maybe sometime. Miss seeing you and hearing those great homilies.
Write when you can.
Peace and all good,
Sandy

Brother Charles said...

Sandy! Good to hear from you and be reminded of your kindness!

Adoro said...

I meant to reply earlier, Father. You are greatly missed, but I'm still glad to have "met" you! And of course, to be able to point so many people towards your blog!

Brother Charles said...

Thank you, Adoro, for your kindness and good example. May the Lord bless you and guide your next steps!