We don't have a formal meal on Friday evenings, and there was nothing else going on, so tonight I went to the senior friars' home for supper.
It was quite the scene. Over their standard Friday supper of fish sticks and curly fries--they're real Catholics--the brethren were having an elaborate discussion about the eternal destiny of Judas Iscariot.
The questions at hand:
1. Is it possible that Judas could be saved?
2. Is final impenitence really possible?
3. Is it a pious and fitting thought to imagine that there are perhaps no human souls in hell?
4. Is it likewise pious and fitting to expect to meet Judas in heaven?
5. If someone were to meet Judas in heaven, what would we say to him?
The conversation self-destructed fairly quickly, but was nonetheless entertaining.
I'll put my contentions in the comment box, just to keep the post clean.